Chinese new music
Total time 45:28
While rummaging through dozens of Chinese blogs and netlabels last June ’09 (see previous post), I came across many enchanting and exciting sounds in unsuspected combinations. At first merely updating myself with Chinese independent music, I soon realised the quality level had dramatically increased since last time I checked, 2 years ago. With this mix, Continuo welcomes the stalwarts of China’s unique sound art. This is of course a personnal selection and someone else might come up with a totally different choice of favorite tracks, though I doubt one can avoid including such fine artists as Yan Jun, Lin Chi-Wei or Zavka.
- Li Lifeng ‘Zhen Zheng’, from Sound And The City book+CD, British Council, 2007. “My friends and I correcting the Mandarin pronunciation of Shanghai local girls. It’s fun.”
- Street noise loop from Café Sambal, Chinese actress Gong Li in Beijing for Louis Vuitton Soundwalk
- Wang Changcun, Ice Frog Part I, from Weather Recorder, 2007
- Zavka ‘Yong He’ on Post Concrete, 2008.
- Café Sambal, Gong Li in Beijing for Louis Vuitton Soundwalk
- Excerpt from Kink Gong – Soundscape China CD (jew’s harp)
- Yan Jun ‘Original Soundtrack’, guitar feedback from his MySpace
- Yan Jun ‘Christiana original’, poetry reading
- Unidentified percussion from Kink Gong – Soundscape China CD
- Xiao He ‘After Time’, from Noise Is Free 2008
- Lin Chi-Wei ‘Balloon music’, from China Avant Guard Music Festival 2009.
- [unidentified location recording]
- [unidentified solo saxophone]
- Wang Changcun ‘Watersprout’, from Weather Recorder, 2007
- Yan Jun ‘Sample 1’, from his MySpace.
- Yan Jun ‘Against’, 2000, mp3 from this archive.
- Wang Fan, performnace at Salon 14, Beijing , 2007. See this PDF file for info.